News & Citizen on Facebook

Home Destroyed in Cambridge Fire

posted Sep 27, 2012, 10:07 AM by Staff News & Citizen

by Mickey Smith


  The Cambridge Fire Department responded to a house fire on Thompson Road in Cambridge late Saturday night, September 22.

The fire was reported at about 11:15 p.m., and upon arrival the fire department reported the rear of the house was fully involved.  The occupied home was considered a total loss, according to a press release from the Vermont State Police.

According to an investigation by the Vermont State Police Fire Unit, Norman and Susan Miller woke to the sound of their dog barking and smoke alarms going off.  Upon finding the exterior of their house on fire, they called 911 and escaped with their dog.  Two cats were unable to escape and perished in the fire.

The fire has been ruled accidental, and was most likely started when embers from an outdoor fire pit spread and landed on outdoor furniture near the residence.

Norman Miller was treated by Cambridge Rescue and transported to Fletcher Allen Health Care for second degree burns to the bottom of his feet and fingertips that he received while attempting to extinguish the fire. He was treated and released. It was also reported in the VSP release that a fire fighter fell about eight feet off a deck, but was not injured.

Damages were estimated at approximately $350,000.


Comments