Head On Crash Hospitalizes Two

posted Dec 7, 2012, 8:42 AM by News & Citizen

by Mickey Smith

Two Eden residents were hospitalized following a head on crash on Route 100 in Hyde Park near the Russ Lanphear Farm at about 4:48 p.m.

According to Lamoille County Sheriff’s Department Corporal Andrew Plante,  a 2001 Mazda Protege, being driven south by Joshua Tallman, 21, lost control and crossed the center line into the northbound lane.  A 2010 Subaru Legacy, being driven by Daphne Dolan-Christiansen, 63, of Lowell, was traveling northbound and after seeing the headlights of the approaching car in her lane attempted to avoid contact by going into the left lane.  Cpl. Plante said guardrails on the side of the northbound lane prevented Dolan-Christiansen from driving off the road to avoid the accident.

Plante said as she moved left into the southbound lane, Tallman’s vehicle started back into the southbound lane, causing them to strike head on at about the middle of the road.  Plante said, based on the marks left in the road, Tallman’s car is believed to have still been out of control as it came back into the southbound lane.

The airbags were deployed in both vehicles, which were totaled in the crash.  Tallman and the passenger in his car, Stephanie Stearns, 20, of Eden, were transported to Copley and then sent to Fletcher Allen Health Care, with what Plante described as incapacitating injuries they were not wearing seatbelts.  Dolan-Christiansen was transported to and evaluated at Copley before being released.

Tallman was found to be driving without a license, as it had been criminally suspended.  He was cited for criminal DLS.

This was Tallman’s second infraction for driving with a criminally suspended license in less than a week.  He had been stopped while driving a 1997 Dodge Dakota on Saturday, November 24, on Route 118 in Eden by the Vermont State Police for what was described in a Vermont State Police press release as a minor motor vehicle violation when it was learned he was driving without a license.

There were some reports of a the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Helicopter being seen near Copley Hospital at the time of the accident, but Plante said he was unaware of the helicopter being used to transport anyone from the accident.