News & Citizen on Facebook

Fire in Belvidere

posted Mar 7, 2013, 8:06 AM by Staff News & Citizen   [ updated Mar 7, 2013, 8:08 AM ]

by Andrew Martin 


   A residential fire occurred in Belvidere on Sunday, March 3. The fire broke out in a single story home and adjoining garage on Route 109 near Belvidere village late Sunday morning and several local fire departments responded. 

The fire began in the garage of the residence. The occupants of the house were warned of the blaze when the smoke detectors in their garage began going off. They quickly discovered the fire in the garage, evacuated the building, and called 911. According to Johnson Fire Department Chief Arjay West his department, which covers Belvidere, received the call for the fire at 10:30 a.m. 

Firefighters arrived on scene and began fighting the blaze soon after receiving the call. They continued to do so throughout Sunday afternoon until the fire was extinguished. According to West, the garage was a total loss and the fire also did substantial damage to a large portion of the actual house. No injuries were reported as a result of the fire. 

Chief West further explained that at this point the fire is not considered suspicious. The house is no longer habitable and he believes that along with the garage the residence may be a total loss. 

Along with the Johnson Fire Department the Cambridge Fire Department was also on scene fighting the fire, and the Hyde Park Fire Department was at the Johnson Fire Station to provide coverage. 




Comments